Newman Congregational Church
The congregation was organized in 1643 by the Reverend Samuel Newman and the first Newman Meeting House, which served also as a meeting hall for village business, was built across the street from today’s church in the center of what was the Ring of the Green.
There is a stone indicating that site on Newman Avenue across from the present church. When King Philip burnt the first meeting house in 1676, a second and later a third were built.
By 1810 a move was in the works to change the town name from Rehoboth to Seekonk, and a new town hall was planned to go on Pawtucket Avenue. The congregation could now have a full fledged church building. The lumber from the third meeting house was used to build the new town hall in 1812.
The Newman Congregational Church was built c. 1810 and redesigned in 1890 when the church was raised onto a foundation. The two side doors were removed and a portico was built over the front door.