The Wilson house was built c. 1820 on the foundation of one of the original buildings on the Ring of the Green as a five bay two story Georgian with a center chimney. In 1860 the house and farmland were bought by George Wilson, owner of Rumford Chemical Works. 96 Hoyt Avenue is the property’s location.
The Wannamoisett Country club bought the house from Rumford Chemical shortly after it organized in 1898. Today it is almost impossible to see any traces of the Wilson House. As the country club grew the house was changed and many additions made to the building. Only part of the original foundation is still visible in the cellar and the painting above, hanging inside the club, allows a glimpse of the original house.