About Us

Founded in 1966, the East Providence Historical Society meetings were originally held at the Roger Williams Grange, Rumford Grange and the former Rumford Community Center.

In 1987 the Society was granted a lease from the City to occupy the historic John Hunt House in the picturesque Hunt’s Mills section in Rumford. The house, built between 1750 – 1790, is a 5 bay, center chimney, Georgian style residence typical of a well-to-do family living in a country setting.

The John Hunt House functions as a headquarters for regular and special events and is located in the southernmost tip of the Blackstone Valley National Heritage Corridor. Society members and volunteers have repaired and restored the building appropriate to the original design of the house.

Our members are dedicated to preserving the heritage and enjoying the history of our city. If you are not a member, we invite you to join us now. Our annual dues are $25 for a family membership and $15 for an individual membership. To join the historical society, please download and complete our membership application, then mail it with a check to the address listed on the top of the application.

Calendar

When What Where Details
April 25

6:30 pm

Public Meeting

The Next Phase for Pomhom Light.  Access dock, boat, solar power and underwater power cable

Riverside

Library

475 Bullocks Pt Ave

Dave Kelleher updates – Refreshments at 6:30
May 8 Hunt House Museum open- trails and more

Master Gardening Day – Free plants for Moms. Seeds for all

Hunts Mills Quilt Exhibit
  **  See Spring 2016 Events page for Spring programs- Quilt Exhibit

“Keep Me Warm One Night”

Pot Luck Dinner….

IMG_2283

IMG_2282

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

image

Count Rumford himself as docent.

Womens' Christian Temperance Union Quilt from 1888

Womens’ Christian Temperance Union Quilt from 1888

Visitors learn about the herring run

Visitors learn about the herring run and fish count from Ten Mile River Watershed

 

 

Links